The Gravedigger's Brawl by Abigail Roux - My Thoughts

The Gravedigger's Brawl - Abigail Roux

Welp.  That was a book.  *LOL*

I love Abi's books.  Her Cut & Run series remains a  huge favourite and her According to Hoyle is stellar.  But this one... this book...  I just don't know.

The premise is nifty.  Ghosts, museum curators, a popular tavern in the historical district and on the surface, the characters seem like a cool bunch of folks that I'd want to get to know. But maybe that's the problem.  I never got to know the main antagonists, Wyatt, the museum curator and Ash, the bartender, more than what they showed on their surface.  I don't feel as if I'm coming out of the story knowing them any better than when I went in.

The story itself feels very jerky and I found myself often turning back a few pages because I thought I had missed something.  But no, it was just a sudden jump to what felt like the middle of a new scene.  The clues to what was going on seemed to be rather sparse up until the last ... oh... 2 chapters of the book, maybe even the last chapter and then all hell broke loose.  I think I'd have preferred more depth throughout the story.

There were other things as well.  I never understood why Wyatt's best friend, Noah, kept telling him he should stay away from Ash (all the while wanting them to get together.).  Hell, I never really understood why Ash and Wyatt kept pushing each other away.  And in the end, I don't really know why Ash and Wyatt fell for each other.  I feel like I know more about the workings of Caleb and Noah's relationship than the MCs.

In the end, I think it feels to me that this book needs more work maybe?

I know a lot of folks love this book.  I just find myself wondering why.  :/