The Pinch of the Game by Charley Descoteaux - My Thoughts

The Pinch of the Game - Charley Descoteaux

So I was looking for a quick read and this light-hearted novella seemed to be just the thing.  And it was... I enjoyed it... I think.  But I'm still so confused.  I feel as if I was missing many different parts of the story for it to make sense.  Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm not up on the conventions of paranormal type stories, but I sincerely found myself left with more questions at the end of the story than at the beginning!

I liked the characters, the main characters and the secondary ones, but it being a novella, I felt as if some of them were given short shrift, sadly.  We only got to see the surface of many of them.  And I know that too much 'backstory' is considered anathema in a lot of romances, but I think this tale could have profited from a little more than I got.  I would also have liked a little more explanation of the magic and how it works in this reality.

It's a shame, really, because I enjoy Charley's writing and I think this story was filled with great ideas and the glimmers of fun characters but... I shouldn't be left thinking I've missed reading half the book.  :(   I was disappointed.

But I must add... I love the cover art!  It's gorgeous!