7 Deadly Book Sins

Found this on Hunger for Knowledge's blog and thought I'd give it a shot.  :)

The 7 Deadly Book Sins

1. Greed- What is your most expensive book?

To the best of my recollection it would be the original Metallica photo book by Ross Halfin.  I paid through the nose on Ebay to add this sucker to my collection!

2. Wrath- What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?

Anne Rice.  I love much of her earlier work, including most of the Vampire books and the Mayfair Witches books.  Interview with a Vampire, I think, is pretty damned awesome.  That being said, she has shown herself to live in her own little navel-gazing world and so many of the statements she's made in the past decade have been way too over the top for me.  So... I love a lot of her work but think she's a total nutjob.

3. Gluttony- What book have you devoured over and over again with no shame?

Oh, there are so many!  To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Rings, many of Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series, my Trixie Belden books - to be honest, anything I read I read without any kind of shame whatsoever.  :)

4. Sloth- Which book have you neglected reading due to laziness?

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark.  I really, really want to read this one, but for some reason I have the sense that it's going to be a slog and I'm going to feel bad for finding it such slow going.  One day I will read it.  One day.

5. Pride- What book do you most talk about in order to sound like an intellectual reader?

I don't believe that I do that, but if I had to pick something, I'd pick the D'Artangnan Romances by Alexandre Dumas.

6. Lust- What attributes do you find attractive in a male or female character?

Smarts and a sense of humour are most important.  As well, I like characters that have depth and that we see growing in their journey.

7. Envy- What book would you most like to receive as a gift?

Back in 1974/1975 when I was working at W. H. Smith, we were selling hardcover copies of Lord of the Rings (all 3 books) that had the most lovely onionskin type pages with gold edging.  It came with a slipcover - no dust jacket.  And we were selling it for $45, a HUGE amount back in the day. ( I just went to a conversion site and it seems that the buying power of that today is almost $220.) I coveted that book and would LOVE to have a copy.  I've not seen one in the past 30 years though.